Thursday, June 13, 2013

How Internships Will Get You a Real Job

Internships are amazing, and it's not just me who thinks so.  I wish I knew the value of internships when I was still in college.  It was something Cal Poly Pomona encouraged, but I didn't understand how truly important they can be.  Many companies will hire on their interns full-time when they graduate, which is how I got my first job in recruiting.

Some internships are paid, some are not, but they are excellent ways to get experience and potentially get a full-time job.  One of the biggest questions I get from job-seekers is how to get a job without having any experience, and the answer is internships.  Internships are great ways to get the 1+ year work experience required for entry-level positions.  Several large corporations have internship programs, such as Disney, NBC, Target, and Sony.  There are also many smaller corporations and companies that offer internships.

Your college career center will most likely have ways to apply to or contact intern programs, or you can search online at sites like www.internships.com, www.internmatch.com, and www.college.monster.com/education.  You can also go to companies' career pages and see if they have intern openings.

Comment below and tell me how you got your initial experience or what internships you're interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment