Monday, May 20, 2013

Delete This From Your Resume Right Now!

This is not for international job-seekers since I'm not quite sure what the norms are internationally.  But for everyone in the U.S. if you have any of the following items on your resume, delete them now and make sure all your job board resumes are updated.  There are a lot of things that are subjective on a resume, these are not.

Never ever ever ever ever EVER include these things on a resume:

Identification Info (Are you asking to get your identity stolen?  If the company needs this info, they'll ask you on an application or after an offer letter)
-Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth

Personal Info (Are you asking to be discriminated against?  At this point in the interview process, there's really no way you can prove discrimination, and I guarantee you employers don't need this info)
-Age, Race, Sexuality, Religion

Irrelevant Info (Unless you're interested in music and applying for a position that has to deal with music, I don't care.  I don't care that you scrapbook or play basketball or have 3 kids.  My job is to show the hiring manager why you're a great fit and this information does not help me) 
-Hobbies, Interests, Kids

Profile 
Let me be clear, a profile section on your resume is a good thing depending on the content.  If you use it as a summary of your skills and qualifications, then great, that's exactly what I need.  However, if you use this as a section to tell me about your childhood, how you grew up, and how married life is treating you, DON'T.  Again, your resume should only include relevant information about what qualifies you for a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment