Monday, May 6, 2013

The Infamous Cover Letter

Your cover letter is your first impression on a company and makes a big impact.  This is where you include your main skills and why you want to work at XYZ Company.  This is also where you can explain your resume – gaps, short tenure, etc .  The truth is, not every company requires a cover letter, and not every recruiter reads them.  If your cover letter is a page or longer in 10 point font, I guarantee you a recruiter will never read it.  The best cover letters are short sweet and to the point – no more than a quarter to half a page long.  Remember – K.I.S.S.

To Whom it May Concern:

I have over 6 years of customer service experience including retail and banking.  I’m able to handle my responsibilities, such as balancing my register and helping with the back-office or restocking, while taking care of customers.  I worked part-time while putting myself to school and have a short gap in 2011 while I was completing an average of 20 units a quarter.

I’d love the opportunity to work as a Team Lead at XYZ Company and think my experience helping customers and training new employees makes me a great fit.  I can be reached at 555-123-4567 or name@gmail.com if you have any questions.  Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Name

No comments:

Post a Comment